A Modern, Clean, Safe & Friendly Tropical City with a Relaxed Atmosphere
Cairns is a colourful, modern city of approx. 160,000 residents, situated in a tropical paradise. The friendly people and the safe and relaxed atmosphere make it the perfect destination for visitors of all ages.
Cairns is famous for its close proximity to the magnificent Great Barrier Reef and the World Heritage listed rainforests which border the city. To the west are the savannah lands of the Australian Outback. These are all easily accessible from the city centre.
An exciting tourist and study destination
Experience the exciting Cairns waterfront with the Esplanade foreshore lagoons and the Reef Fleet Terminal.
The Cairns waterfront offers more than 2 kilometers of parklands for bird watching, sunbathing and free BBQ areas, as well as a range of modern shopping, dining and entertainment options. The view is superb and each year thousands of visitors and locals are attracted there to watch the boats across the sparkling waters of the natural inlet.
The facilities of this small but lively and sophisticated city are world-class. Cairns offers a high standard and wide range of accommodation options to suit all budgets; international restaurants; boutique shopping; art galleries; botanical gardens; convention centre and a university. Theatres, cinemas, a casino and bars are among its lively range of evening entertainment venues.
Lifestyle & Culture
Famous for long days of sunshine and a warm tropical climate, Cairns is home to people of many cultures and nationalities. The cosmopolitan feel to this international travel destination is enhanced by more than 2 million visitors each year who enjoy a modern, clean and friendly city with world-class facilities.
In August every year the Festival Cairns provides a fabulous display of local art, shows, events replicating a carnival type flair.
During early September Cairns Amateurs one of Australia’s premier Spring Racing Carnivals, has something for everyone – horse racing, fashion, socializing and celebrities.
Mid September, an iconic event in the Cairns community attracting over 20,000 spectators each year: Festival Cairns Finale incorporates the traditional Parade of Lights and Explosion of Lights, fire works, parades and much more.
With a very low crime rate Cairns is one of the safest cities in Australia. However should you require help, call 000 (triple zero) – Fire, Ambulance and Police. For routine matters call 07 4030 7000. Cairns police station is on Sheridan Street, there is also a smaller Cairns police station on The Esplanade.
Things to do:
- Visit the Great Barrier Reef for snorkeling and diving
- Explore the Rainforest
- Enjoy unspoiled, sandy beaches and islands
- Go shopping (Boutiques, International brands, Second hand book shops etc)
- Eat in fabulous international restaurants, to suit all budgets and tastes.
- Party in nightclubs
- Sit back in the Cinemas and theatres
- Be active on the Golf courses, tennis and basketball courts and soccer fields
- Saddle Up and go on horse back
- Be Brave: White water rafting, Bungee Jumping, Sky Diving
- See the view from Hot air ballooning
- Rusty’s Market – Open Friday to Sunday (6:00am to 3:00pm)
- Fresh tropical fruits & Veggies at the most affordable prices
- Weekend Markets at the Lagoon on the Esplanade
- (stalls selling a variety of products, sarongs, jewellery, opals, souvenirs etc)
- And much more!
Places of interest
- Cairns Library (A quite place to read. Borrow books, CDs, DVDs, Magazines. Cairns Library offers books in many languages, Open: 10:00am – 6:00pm (or to 3:00pm on Saturdays and Sundays)
- Cairns Museum (Open: Monday to Saturday Cairns Library 10:00am to 4:00pm)
- Cairns Regional Gallery (Exhibits the work of artists based throughout the tropical north. Open: 10:00am – 5:00pm.)
- Flecker Botanic Gardens (38 hectares of lush and exotic flora and fauna; Open: 7.30am-5.30pm; Free entry)
- Sugarworld (Waterslide Park, Open: 10:00am to 4:30pm)
- The Reef Hotel Casino (Entry to Casino only from 18 years of age or over)
International & Domestic Airport
Servicing most Airlines since 1984. There are daily flights to and from most key international and Australian destinations.
Taxis and shuttle bus services are available to and from the City Centre.
Linking the Centre and the suburbs
Black and White Taxis – 24-hour taxi service with a fleet of 137 government licensed taxi vehicles.
Taxi meeting points or ‘ranks’ are located in the central city areas and at shopping centres.
Railway – Connecting Cairns to Queensland’s Capital, Brisbane (1729 km to the South) and beyond on modern trains with both sleeper and seat options.
Australia’s busiest cruise port with over 200 international & domestic cruise ship visits a year
Local and International Car Rentals companies are located throughout the city centre, airport and at some of the northern beaches.
Excellent sealed highways link Cairns with the national road network. Brisbane is at least a 22-hour drive from Cairns.
The compact, easy city layout with wide pedestrian and bicycle pathways makes it convenient for cycling around the city.
There are several daily bus services linking the major cities and towns around Australia.
Coach companies include: McCafferty’s, Greyhound and Oz Experience