The Erudite Pen
The Erudite Pen is a Cairns-based editing and publishing consultancy business run by managing editor, Dr Juliette Lachemeier. As a full member of Institute of Professional Editors (Iped) and Editors QLD, and with over 25 years’ experience as an academic, writer and career professional, Juliette can confidently assist you with all of your English language writing endeavours. Juliette has a high degree of communication and English language skills, uniquely cultivated within diverse employment and educational environments - to PhD level.
Being a former Holmes Institute (Cairns) and Wall Street Institute (Munich) ESL teacher, she assists ESL doctoral research students in preparing their theses for Australian university submission. As a copy editor, Juliette ensures that research theses comply with university and Iped guidelines for thesis editing. Her thesis editing service typically includes:
- Editing for Australian language and style consistency: spelling, capitalisation, hyphenation, abbreviation, quotations.
- Editing for appropriate use of language: punctuation, syntax, grammar, redundant words, repetitive phrases, jargon, clichés, balance between passive and active voice.
- Editing for accuracy and clarity, precision and conciseness, sound language choice, correct citations and literals (typing errors), widows and orphans.
- Editing for visual content consistency: heading hierarchies, pagination, page layout, tables.
- Ensuring in-text citations and EndNote generated reference lists conform to thesis referencing style.
Dr Juliette Lachemeier has worked successfully with PhD and Graduate Diploma ESL students at Griffith University’s School of Medicine and the University of Southern Queensland’s Faculty of Health, Science and Engineering. She specialises in academic and scientific writing, and can greatly assist students in refining their writing skills at that level. As an academic editor, she not only addresses spelling, grammar and punctuation, but also ensures manuscript readability and consistency, while improving language precision, cohesion, flow, clarity and brevity.