James Cook University
James Cook University (JCU) is the second oldest university in Queensland and Australia’s leading university in the tropics. Offering excellence in teaching and research, JCU is a vibrant multi-campus university. Total student enrolments are more than 18,000 and growing, including over 5,500 international students from over 100 different countries.
JCU is ranked in the top 5% of universities worldwide based on 2010 assessments by two of the world’s leading university ranking system – the Shanghai Jiao Tong University and Higher Education and Accreditation Council. JCU is also ranked among the top 12 tourism education institutions in the world and is recognized for its special focus on ecotourism.
The University’s main campuses are in Townsville and Cairns, in tropical northern Queensland and an international campus located in Singapore, JCU Singapore.
Courses and Degrees
James Cook University’s study areas include the arts and humanities, business, the creative arts, education, engineering, health sciences, information technology, law, medicine, social sciences and science. The University offers over 300 different career oriented courses and degrees at undergraduate, postgraduate (coursework and research) and short term/semester levels.
As a leading research university, JCU provides excellent facilities for teaching and learning. The unique location of James Cook University allows nationally significant and internationally recongised research to be conducted by both staff and students. Much research focus is based on the industries and environments of northern Australia, including marine biology, biodiversity, tropical environmental studies, earth sciences/geology, engineering, tropical health and tourism. JCU receives more than $27 million in research funding each year, is a member of the national alliance, Innovative Research Universities and has as its vision to be one of the world’s leading research universities in the tropics.
Awards and Recognition
- JCU is ranked in the top 400 universities in the world in the 2010 Shanghai Jiao Tong University Academic Ranking of World Universities.
- In the Asia Pacific region, JCU is ranked in the top 100.
- JCU is ranked in the top 5% of universities world wide based on 2010 assessments by two of the world’s leading university ranking systems – the Shanghai Jiao Tong University and Higher Education and Accreditation Council.
- JCU is a member of the select group, Innovative Research Universities (IRU). IRU is one of the three university alliances recognized by peak body Universities Australia.
- Ranked first in the world for citations in the field of coral reef ecology and is in the top three in the research fields of ecology and environment, plant and animal sciences and geosciences.
- Consistently ranked in the world’s top three for research performance in the areas of ecology and environment, plant and animal sciences and geosciences.
- Ranked among the top 12 tourism education institutions in the world and is recognized for its special focus on ecotourism.
- Nine James Cook University academics have received $10,000 citations for outstanding contributions to student learning awarded by the Carrick Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
- Six JCU academics are among the top 10 cited scientists in Marine Sciences in the world.
- Thompson’s Essential Science Indicator ranks JCU 1st in Australia for Environmental Ecology citations.